The Influence of Parameters Affecting Mechanical Properties and Microstructures of Semi-Solid-Metal 7075 Aluminum Alloy by Using Friction Stir Spot Welding

  • Siva Sitthipong Prince of Songkla University
  • Prawit Towatana Prince of Songkla University
  • Chaiyoot Meengam Songkhla Rajabhat University
  • Suppachai Chainarong Prince of Songkla University
  • Prapas Muangjunburee Prince of Songkla University

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Abstract

This research aims to study the influence of parameters that affect the mechanical properties of semi-solid-metal 7075 aluminum alloy with friction stir spot welding process. The parameters fort this experiment such as rotation welding speed at 380, 760, 1240 and 2500 rpm and rotation welding time at 60, 90 and 120 seconds were employed respectively. The study found that the welded specimens at all the conditions can be welded very well. Moreover, friction stir spot welding process showed that the hardness in weld zone had an average value at 79.83 HV which is lower than the hardness of the base metal. The shear tensile strength of the welded specimens had the average value approximately 194.20 MPa at rotation welding speed of 1240 rpm, rotation welding time of 120 seconds and plunge of depth of 2 millimetres. The microstructure in the weld zone and thermal mechanical affected zone were deformed permanently. Therefore, friction stir spot welding process of this aluminum alloy provided good effects on mechanical properties. Statistical analysis showed that the coefficient of determination R-square was equal to 93.50 percent. This means that the variations of the experiments were controllable, such as equipment or other factors in the experiment. For the remaining, only 6.50 percent was uncontrolled factors.

View article in other formats
Author Biographies
Siva Sitthipong

Marine and Coastal Resource Institute, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla 90110, Thailand

Prawit Towatana

Marine and Coastal Resource Institute, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla 90110, Thailand
Coastal Oceanography and Climate Change Research Center, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla 90112, Thailand

Chaiyoot Meengam

Department of Engineering, Faculty of Industrial Technology, Songkhla Rajabhat University, Songkhla 90000, Thailand

Suppachai Chainarong

Department of Engineering, Faculty of Industrial Technology, Songkhla Rajabhat University, Songkhla 90000, Thailand

Prapas Muangjunburee

Department of Mining and Materials Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla 90110, Thailand

Published
Vol 22 No 3, Jun 28, 2018
How to Cite
S. Sitthipong, P. Towatana, C. Meengam, S. Chainarong, and P. Muangjunburee, “The Influence of Parameters Affecting Mechanical Properties and Microstructures of Semi-Solid-Metal 7075 Aluminum Alloy by Using Friction Stir Spot Welding”, Eng. J., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 51-64, Jun. 2018.

Authors who publish with Engineering Journal agree to transfer all copyright rights in and to the above work to the Engineering Journal (EJ)'s Editorial Board so that EJ's Editorial Board shall have the right to publish the work for nonprofit use in any media or form. In return, authors retain: (1) all proprietary rights other than copyright; (2) re-use of all or part of the above paper in their other work; (3) right to reproduce or authorize others to reproduce the above paper for authors' personal use or for company use if the source and EJ's copyright notice is indicated, and if the reproduction is not made for the purpose of sale.

Article Statistics
Total PDF downloads: 72